We were able to use Heritage Lottery Funding to install a commemorative plaque at St John’s Church, on Barrow Island.
About the church
St John’s Church on Barrow Island is a Grade II listed building. And this church was a key part of the local community during the Second World War. A new build, at the time of the war, St John’s Church was built in 1935. And the stone walls were built with an increased depth in order to provide “bomb resistance”.
In addition, the Vicar of this church was also the Chaplain for the Shipyard for many years. And this duty would include being present at the launch of any vessels built in the Shipyard.
We are incredibly grateful to Rev. Andy Batchelor and the Church Council and Church Warden for the help and support we have received.
This plaque is listed on the War Memorials Online Website.